Source: ShotPrime Studio/Shutterstock.com
We often think of blackheads as exclusive to the chin or nose, but anyone who’s ever gotten up close and personal with one of those terrifying magnifying mirrors knows that those little suckers hang out all over the face. But if you’ve got blackheads on your cheek, don’t chalk it up to a lost cause. There is a surprisingly simple solution to the problem, and it starts with using blackhead busters from Black Wolf and keeping triggers out of your routine.
Why Blackheads Love Cheeks
The cheeks are a hot hangout for blackheads because they’re susceptible to extra bacteria and dirt buildup from your phone, pillow, face mask, etc. which turns into clogged pores and, ultimately, blackheads. On top of that, the skin on the cheek is less taut than the rest of the face, which can make it hard to get down deep when you’re scrubbing your mug. Keep these things in mind when developing your anti-blackhead strategy.
Our Step-By-Step Blackhead-Busting Strategy
The real first step in banning blackheads from your face is to understand why they happen to begin with. Blackheads are caused by trapped skin cells and oils that linger in the pores. Unlike regular zits, blackheads sit higher on the surface of the skin and are exposed to the air (making them oxidized), which is why they’re black in appearance. Knowing the MO of blackheads helps you understand why the following steps are so clutch.
- Step 1: Cleanse Like Ya Mean It — Paying special attention to your cheeks, use a high-quality face wash twice a day – in the morning and at night before bed. If blackheads are your biggest issue and you suffer from greasy skin, make sure to use a gel moisturizer for oily skin to ensure that you don’t worsen the problem. Look for products that are proven to help get rid of blackheads, including:
- Salicylic acid. This stuff is one of the best ingredients for deep-cleaning blackheads because it gently sloughs off the top layer of your skin, taking dirt and debris with it for squeaky-clean pores.
- Activated charcoal. Using an activated charcoal face wash twice a day can take care of those microscopic gases and toxins that are clogging your pores and causing blackheads.
- Step 2: Exfoliate the Dirt Away — Exfoliating your skin two or three times a week using a gentle face scrub is a great way to manually purge the pores of the dead skin cells and oil that turn into blackheads over time. You need to be careful with manual exfoliating though, keeping it to a couple of times a week because it can dry out your skin or cause irritation.
- Step 3: Treat Yo’ Self to a Mask — Make today Treat Yo’ Self Day with a detoxifying charcoal mask that emulsifies and binds to blackheads, dirt and oil. This ultra-satisfying peel-off mask sinks deep into the pores and then dries so you can peel it off along with all the nasty gunk that’s hanging out in your skin. Use a charcoal mask once a week for the best results.
- Step 4: Don’t Give Blackheads an Opportunity — Do everything you can to prevent blackheads from seizing an opportunity. Some great ways to prevent them from developing include regularly washing pretty much everything that comes into contact with your cheeks, whether it be your phone, your fabric face mask or your hands. Also make sure you purge your shower of any harsh, pore-clogging skin care ingredients that could be doing more harm than good and shower immediately after you hit the gym or get sweaty.
- Step 5: Whatever You Do, Don’t Pick or Pop — We all secretly love those horrifying yet satisfying YouTube popping videos, but when it comes to your own skin, you’ve gotta resist the urge to pop. Popping blackheads can actually push the dirt deeper, causing them to hang out for longer. Plus, too much picking and poking can lead to permanent scars.
Source: Dusan Petkovic/Shutterstock.com
Routine Is Everything
Now that you’ve got the tools and products you need to clean up your cheeks, you need to follow a routine like it’s a religion (or a hot Instagram model). Consistency is the key to a clear complexion, so keep it regular and you’ll see amazing results. And remember, if you’re having a good skin week, keep doing what you’re doing! That means it’s working.